Friday 26 March 2010

Brazil

Brazil (1985) ★★★★

Vuokko forced me to watch this classic and I'm happy she did. I had seen fragments of it earlier but it was about time I finally got round to watching the whole film.

Brazil is a dystopian, depressing vision of a bureaucratic big brother state. Obvious comparisons to Kafka and Orwell came into mind.



Last year I saw a Francois Truffaut film Fahrenheit 451 (based on Ray Bradbury's novel) which is of similar mould, although more cheerful and simplistic than Brazil. The actors (Oskar Werner & Julie Christie) were also more likeable.

Fahrenheit 451 (1966) ★★★★



Continuing with the theme, I guess I ought to watch Fritz Lang's Metropolis (1927) next, especially as it has been waiting for its turn on my laptop since summer..

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Brazil rocks ! and I'm trying to manage to see Metropolis one day..., not easy thow :)Nefelli